We conclude our series of interviews from rural Wisconsin with farmers and community members fighting to defend life as they know it from the onslaught of Big Agriculture and the factory farming industry. As part of a special collaboration between The Real News Network and In These Times magazine for “The Wisconsin Idea,” TRNN Editor-in-Chief Maximillian Alvarez, Cameron Granadino (TRNN), and Hannah Faris (In These Times) travelled to Polk County in Western Wisconsin over the summer to speak with residents about their fight to halt—or, at least, adequately regulate—a proposed concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO) that would house 26,000 hogs and produce millions of gallons of liquid manure every year.
In this interview, Alvarez sits down with Lisa Doerr, who has been on the front lines of this struggle and lives right down the road from where the proposed CAFO would be built. Doerr and her husband own and operate a hay farm in Polk County that supplies food for small-scale livestock farmers in the area.
Additional links/info below…
- Working People, “Kristy Lynn Allen“
- Working People, “Hog Wild (w/ Lisa Doerr, Forest Jahnke, Hannah Faris, & Maeve Conran)“
- Maximillian Alvarez, Cameron Granadino, & Hannah Faris, The Real News Network, “Factory Farms Pose an ‘Existential Threat’ for Rural Wisconsin Communities“
- Grace Connatser, Wisconsin State Farmer, “Documentary Captures Rural Wisconsin’s Struggle with Hog CAFOs“
- Maeve Conran, Just Solutions, “Rural Wisconsin Communities Battle Industrial Scale Hog Farms“
- Simon Davis-Cohen, In These Times, “‘In for a Fight’: Rural Wisconsinites Resist Influx of Industrial Hog Facilities“
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music Archive freemusicarchive.org):
Jules Taylor, “Working People Theme Song”