Mavi Marmara

Turkey puts Israeli Generals on Trial for Mavi Marmara Attack

November 12, 2012

Israel describes the Turkish trial as a kangaroo court, but Turkish lawyers pushing ahead and say an Interpol notice for the arrest of the former Israeli commanders will be issued if they fail to attend

Lawsuit Demands Information on Murder of Furkhan Dogan

May 31, 2011

One year after Israeli raid on Gaza aid flotilla, lawsuit and Dogan’s father demand answers from US government

UN: Israel Executed Flotilla Activists

September 30, 2010

UN Fact-Finding Mission Says Israelis "Executed" US Citizen Furkan Dogan Monday 27 September 2010 by: Gareth Porter, t r u t h o u t | Report Furkan Dogan, a 19-year-old US citizen of Turkish descent, was aboard the Mavi Marmara when he was killed by Israeli commandos.  The report of the fact-finding mission of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) on the Israeli attack on the Gaza flotilla released last week shows conclusively, for the first time, that US citizen Furkan Dogan and five Turkish citizens were murdered execution-style by Israeli commandos. The report reveals that Dogan, the 19-year-old US citizen of Turkish descent, was filming with a small video camera on the top deck of the Mavi Marmara when he was shot twice in the head, once in the back and in the left leg and foot and that he was shot in the face at point blank range while lying on the ground. The report says Dogan had apparently been "lying on the deck in a conscious or semi-conscious, state for some time" before being shot in his face. The forensic evidence that establishes that fact is "tattooing around the wound in his face," indicating that the shot was "delivered at point blank range."  The report describes the forensic evidence as showing that "the trajectory of the wound, from bottom to top, together with a vital abrasion to the left shoulder that could be consistent with the bullet exit point, is compatible with the shot being…

How Israel planned the Flotilla attack

June 4, 2010

As the MV Rachel Corrie, the last boat in the Free Gaza Movement’s Flotilla, is being dragged to Israel’s Ashdod port after being boarded and taken over in the early hours of Saturday, Israel continues to react to its Flotilla attack. Protests have been taking place throughout Israel and the occupied Palestinian Territories. In the meantime, The Real News’ Lia Tarachansky investigates how Israel prepared for the Flotilla attack, and how the media repeatedly portrayed a connection between the activists and terrorism. After the attack, Israel went on the offensive to prove there was indeed a connection to terrorism. The IDF published a press release saying the activists on board the Mavi Marmara ship that was the site of at least 9 deaths on Monday morning were actually al Qaeda mercenaries. When Tarachansky and journalist Max Blumenthaul questioned the IDF for evidence of this allegation, the IDF said it didn’t have any and changed the title of the press release to "attackers of the IDF soldiers found without identification papers."

Response in Israel to aid ship attack

June 1, 2010

At roughly 4:00 a.m. on Monday morning Israeli navy and air force troops intercepted a convoy of six ships that attempted to deliver 10,000 tons of aid to the besieged Gaza strip. The convoy, known as the Gaza Freedom Flotilla, was inspected by several governments and was a highly publicized action. Israeli officials warned the ships they will not be allowed to reach Gaza’s shores, when the ships attempted to do so in order to break the siege on Gaza, the Israeli army attacked them, leaving 20 international activists dead and dozens injured. Hundreds are currently in Israeli jails. The Real News’ Lia Tarachansky investigates what Israeli officials and Israeli media have been reporting about this attack.