Institutional Giving Manager
About The Real News Network (TRNN)
TRNN is a non-profit 501(c)(3) news and documentary network producing independent and uncompromising journalism. Our news operation is based in Baltimore with national and international bureaus. The Real News Network investigates, reports and debates stories concerning the critical issues of our time. The network is supported by members, individual donors and foundations. We do not accept advertising, or government or corporate funding.
For more information about TRNN, please refer to our website at www.therealnews.com.
About the Position
TRNN seeks a seasoned Institutional Giving Manager with at least ten years of experience managing foundation fundraising and doing grant writing. You will be responsible for writing compelling grant proposals, reports, and other foundation-facing materials. Your work will ensure that our new and existing foundation partners have a meaningful donor journey that inspires them to mission-supportive action. There is a lot of room for initiative and imagination.
As the Institutional Giving Manager, you will work with the CEO and Development Team to lead foundation fundraising efforts towards the organization’s multi-million dollar budget. Our special programming focus in the coming years will be: Climate Crisis Bureau; Reality Asserts Itself with Paul Jay; Rattling the Bars with Eddie Conway; Capitol Hill Bureau; Baltimore Bureau, and National/International Bureaus, which includes coverage of the 2020 election cycle. This position reports to the CEO and would ideally be based in Baltimore or New York.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Primarily responsible to successfully carry out grant proposal writing, reporting and prospecting
- Work with senior management and development team to implement and track an annual foundation fundraising plan
- Master writing fundraising appeals and proposals in TRNN’s voice
- Manage, drive and expand foundation fundraising portfolio
- Leverage TRNN’s current events and cultivation activities
- Lead prospect foundation research
- Contribute creative and practical ideas for funder outreach and engagement
- Work with appropriate staff personnel and development team on grant and report writing activities
- Provide regular reports and analysis on foundation fundraising activities
- Maintain accurate data on all foundation fundraising activities using Raiser’s Edge
- Continually immerse yourself in TRNN’s content and be conversant in our mission and editorial values
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s preferred or at least 10 years of development experience with significant foundation fundraising and grant writing history
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills with ability to influence and engage
- Experience and knowledge of trends in foundation fundraising and philanthropy
- Familiarity with or ability to learn and use Excel, Raiser’s Edge, Slack, and Basecamp
- A personal commitment to and deep understanding of TRNN’s mission
- Ability to accept creative criticism
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and with a team
- Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to thrive in an evolving environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Willingness to travel throughout the year
- Demonstrated skills in cultural competence and a commitment to social justice
- An engaging and dynamic manner that demonstrates warmth and good humor when working with individuals
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and generous benefits package including medical plan, workers’ compensation insurance, paid time off, holidays, professional development opportunities, and travel reimbursement.
All applications must include the following:
- A cover letter detailing why you want to work for TRNN
- An up to date resume
- References for the last four employers
- Two successful proposals or LOI writing samples.
Please submit your application to [email protected] with “Institutional Giving Manager” in the subject line.