The Real News Network seeks a Senior Host/Producer covering global struggles/left Internationalism beat.
The Real News Network is an online, nonprofit news organization that is supported solely by individual donations and grants. We do not accept corporate or government funding. Our budget is in excess of $3 million and we have a full, part-time and freelance staff in excess of 30. While the majority of our staff are located in our studio/office space in Baltimore, Maryland (and we have an organizational emphasis on engagement with the people of color community in Baltimore), we also have team members across the US, in Canada and in Europe, with hopes to expand our physical presence to Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean.
We publish across digital platforms and we have broadcast partners as well. Our primary output is video, though we also publish in print and audio formats. We produce both interview and analysis pieces from our Baltimore studio, and produce stories from reporters and freelancers in the field. Our primary outlet is YouTube, where we have approximately 350,000 subscribers. We are a union shop. Our staff is organized under the Communications Workers of America.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
As an engaged member of the Editorial Team, the Senior Host/Producer will drive coverage of international issues—especially focused on resistance to imperialism and occupation, transnational solidarity, and grassroots organizing across the world, especially in the Global South—at The Real News Network (TRNN). The position will be responsible for analyzing and presenting complex political and other issues as assigned through the editorial process, across platforms including text, audio and video. This position will have a sound understanding of digital platforms including social media, in order to communicate in a clear, accurate and engaging way, and to build audiences for TRNN coverage of global issues. A central task of the Host/Producer will be assisting with the development of a new weekly show highlighting voices and struggles from across the global left, and helping expand a network of freelancer correspondents who can help contribute to this program.
● Develop and host a new online video program and podcast focusing on global struggles and internationalism, highlighting voices of organizers and experts from outside the US.
● Help cultivate and grow an international network of freelance journalists and analysts from the global left who can contribute reporting and commentary to this program.
● Effectively work with our digital team to build and engage an audience for this program on social media and beyond.
● Work with producers and editing staff to enhance video reporting by locating relevant videos, graphics, charts and other visual elements.
● Work with studio technicians to produce interviews as they take place, indicating where visual elements should be added, including during live shoots.
● Occasionally supplement regular multimedia content with print pieces. ● Meet deadlines in a high-energy work environment.
● Organize and participate in opportunities for community engagement, fundraising, live broadcasts, and online discussions.
● Participate in other reporting/producing work as assigned.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Good on camera presence, with ability to conduct compelling interviews and engagingly explore complex issues
● Extensive knowledge of international political and social affairs, and interest in upkeep with news cycles outside the US
● Commitment to using rigorous journalism, grounded in facts and thoughtful analysis, as a way to strengthen a culture of internationalism and global solidarity on the left, while pushing back against transnational neoliberalism and militarized imperialism
● Creative understanding of how digital audiences can be built across video/audio/text platforms.
● Investigative research and fact finding skills
● Ability to complete tasks and calmly maintain order in high-stress situations
● Capacity to thrive in a healthy collaborative environment by giving and accepting feedback without unnecessary drama
● Excellent organizational and logistics expertise, especially project management
● Knowledge and understanding of various media platforms, including broadcast, web, and mobile
● Strong computer skills, with basic understanding of multimedia file formats
● Understanding of copyright and fair use practices
● Strong project management skills and ability to work in a team
● Fluency in languages besides English is a plus
● Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related field preferred, or equivalent experience
● 5+ years relevant experience
This is a union position. Salary is competitive, with generous medical benefits, PTO, and a 3% employer match into a 403(b) retirement plan.
Send a cover letter, three relevant samples of writing or multimedia work, and a resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The Real News is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTIQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.